Today's Financial Stock Winners and Losers
Under the terms of the agreement, New Century will increase the size of its board to 11 members. David Einhorn, president of Greenlight, will be appointed to serve as a Class III director starting March 31. Also, New Century will allow Greenlight to increase its ownership to as much as 19.6% of the company's common stock. Shares of New Century gained $2.53, or 6.3%, to $42.85.
H&R Block (HRB) fell on news that New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer filed a civil lawsuit against the tax preparer, alleging the company "steered hundreds of thousands of its clients, including almost 30,000 New Yorkers," into IRAs that were "virtually guaranteed to lose money." Spitzer's lawsuit contends the IRAs contained hidden fees and offered low returns.
Mark A. Ernst, H&R Block's chairman and CEO, said in a statement that the company believes in the Express IRA products. Ernst said that if the matter goes to court, the company "will fight vigorously to defend the Express IRA product and ensure it remains available to our many clients who rely on it as a helpful savings option." Shares fell $1.02, or 4.6%, to $20.98.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV