Today's Financial Stock Winners and Losers
Under the terms of the agreement, New Century will increase the size of its board to 11 members. David Einhorn, president of Greenlight, will be appointed to serve as a Class III director starting March 31. Also, New Century will allow Greenlight to increase its ownership to as much as 19.6% of the company's common stock. Shares of New Century gained $2.53, or 6.3%, to $42.85.
H&R Block (HRB) fell on news that New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer filed a civil lawsuit against the tax preparer, alleging the company "steered hundreds of thousands of its clients, including almost 30,000 New Yorkers," into IRAs that were "virtually guaranteed to lose money." Spitzer's lawsuit contends the IRAs contained hidden fees and offered low returns.
Mark A. Ernst, H&R Block's chairman and CEO, said in a statement that the company believes in the Express IRA products. Ernst said that if the matter goes to court, the company "will fight vigorously to defend the Express IRA product and ensure it remains available to our many clients who rely on it as a helpful savings option." Shares fell $1.02, or 4.6%, to $20.98.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV