Three Emerging-Market Gems
This column was originally published on RealMoney on March 15 at 12:30 p.m. EST. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
"China and India are old news," says a friend of mine who recently retired, thanks to good stock-picking. "Africa, South America and maybe Indonesia or Vietnam are where people should be looking."
With these emerging markets and others just beginning to hit their growth streaks, I like the companies that deal with the technologies that are ramping alongside the GDPs: wireless and banking technology. Three stocks have caught my eye recently: Mobile Telesystems (MBT), Net1UEPS Technologies (UEPS) and America Movil SA de CV (AMX).
With over 59 million customers and the largest mobile network in Russia, Mobile Telesystems is clearly a diamond in the rough. The company grew its subscriber numbers by over 70% in 2005 in Russia, the Ukraine and Belarus.The company sports a ratio of EV (enterprise value, which is market cap minus net cash) to EBITDA of 6.624 and an EV/cash flow from operations of 8. It generated $1.97 billion over the trailing 12 months in operating cash flow, and its balance sheet is in good shape, with $557 million in cash and $2.3 billion in debt that is easily serviced by its $2.42 billion EBITDA. A look at the annual income statement and cash-flow statement of the past three years further clarifies this company's capabilities. Operating income and cash flow from operations grew every year sequentially. At an EPS of $2.66, this is both a growth story and a multiple expansion story. I think this company will continue to grow revenue through expansion and margin improvement, and because it carries the scarlet letter of Russia, it can be had at a discount. Yes, Russia is now an emerging market, but this company has already arrived.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV