Use This Filing to Trade Like Jeff Berkowitz
This column was originally published on RealMoney on March 1 at 3:20 p.m. EST. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
I like learning from the stock picks and styles of others. I spent five years studying every aspect of Warren Buffett's approach, and the result was my second book, Trade Like Warren Buffett. I looked at every stage of his career from the 1950s on (hedge fund days, early Berkshire, later Berkshire, his personal portfolio, etc.), and had conclusions very different from the usual value-based books about him. I hope the process made me a better investor, and time will tell.
Along these lines, I like looking at the 13F-HR. These are filings from institutions/funds with greater than $100 million in stock holdings, which are required by the SEC every quarter.
I plan to pick an investor once every so often and do an article based on his 13F-HR filings to get a sense of their approach and a look at their picks.The first of these efforts will be on J.L. Berkowitz & Co., which filed its latest 13F-HR on Jan. 18. You can read the exploits of the young Jeff Berkowitz in Jim Cramer's Confessions of a Street Addict. If you read only one chapter in the book, read Jim's description of his experiences in September 1998. If you read two chapters, then also read his description of his first week in the hedge fund business. (Jim's hedge fund, Cramer Berkowitz, evolved into Berkowitz & Co.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV