Today's Small-Cap Winners and Losers
Shares of Dynamic Materials (BOOM), a provider of metal plates, were leaping after it said fourth-quarter sales increased 16% from a year ago to $23.2 million. Earnings rose to $3.5 million, or 28 cents a share, from $2.3 million, or 20 cents a share, in the fourth quarter last year.
Additionally, Dynamic Materials declared a cash dividend of 15 cents a share, a 50% increase from the rate paid last year. The dividend will be paid March 22 to stockholders of record March 10. Dynamic Materials' shares were rising $3.39, or 11%, to $34.04.
Shanda Interactive's (SNDA) shares were diving a day after the Chinese operator of online games posted fourth-quarter results that were short of expectations.
Shanda recorded a loss of $66.8 million, or 94 cents per American depositary share. The loss included an impairment charge totaling $64.6 million, or 90 cents per ADS, related to Shanda's 38% stake in a South Korean game company. Analysts expected earnings of 26 cents a share before the charge.Revenue totaled $44.7 million, down 16% from a year earlier and well below Wall Street's projection of $59 million. The company's shares slid $3.16, or 18.7%, to $13.77. Third Wave Technologies (TWTI) saw its shares rise nearly 3% after it posted its latest fourth-quarter results. The company reported total revenue of $5.8 million and a loss of $5 million, or 12 cents a share, for the quarter ended Dec. 31, compared with a top line of $8.1 million and a loss of $4.7 million and 12 cents a share for the same period a year ago. Third Wave, which develops molecular diagnostic reagents for a variety of DNA and RNA analysis applications, forecast total revenue of $23 million to $25 million for 2006. Shares were adding 8 cents to $3.10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV