Today's Small-Cap Winners and Losers
American Science & Engineering (ASEI) rose after the Billerica, Mass., maker of X-ray inspection systems beat analysts' third-quarter earnings expectations. The company earned $9.7 million, or 95 cents a share, up from $2 million, or 23 cents a share, a year ago.
Revenue totaled $38.5 million, up 64% from the same period last year. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 66 cents a share. Shares of American Science & Engineering gained $4.85, or 7.2%, to $72.30.
Shares of Regal-Beloit (RBC) advanced after the Beloit, Wis., electric-generator maker topped Wall Street's fourth-quarter earnings targets. The company reported income of $20.3 million, or 63 cents a share, compared with $7 million, or 28 cents a share, the previous year.
Sales increased 69.5% over last year to $376.2 million. Analysts were looking for earnings of 59 cents a share. Shares of Regal-Beloit rose $2.56, or 7%, to $39.41.Shares of Stamps.com (STMP) surged after the Los Angeles-based Internet postage company exceeded analysts' estimates. The company made $4.1 million, or 17 cents a share, compared with $1.5 million, or 6 cents a share, a year ago. Revenue reached $20.6 million, up 76% from a year ago. Analysts had projected income of 14 cents a share for the quarter. Stamps.com advanced $5.80, or 23%, to $30.97. Kopin (KOPN) gained after the Taunton, Mass., company, the largest U.S. maker of microdisplays, said it extended a product-supply agreement with Skyworks Solutions (SWKS). Kopin will supply Skyworks with heterojunction bipolar production wafers. Shares of Kopin advanced 16 cents, or 3.5%, to $5.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV