Today's Small-Cap Winners and Losers
Hain Celestial Group (HAIN) advanced after the Melville, N.Y., organic-food company said second-quarter sales increased 10% to $186.2 million. Net income reached $12.7 million, or 33 cents a share, up from $10.7 million, or 29 cents a share, a year ago.
Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting a profit of 33 cents. Hain Celestial Group gained $1.72, or 7.7%, to $23.94 in recent trading.
Shares of Carbo Ceramics (CRR) slipped after the Irving, Texas, oil-services company missed analysts' fourth-quarter earnings expectations.
The company's earnings fell to $10.4 million, or 43 cents a share, from $10.8 million, or 45 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts had expected earnings of 48 cents a share. Sales rose 2% to $63.6 million. Carbo Ceramics was losing $1.61, or 2.5%, to $62.50.American Axle and Manufacturing (AXL) declined after the Detroit-based auto-parts supplier fell short of analysts' profit targets. The company said earnings dropped to $4.5 million, or 9 cents a share, from $31.3 million, or 61 cents a share, last year. Sales fell to $852.6 million from $875.6 million. Analysts had expected the company to report earnings of 10 cents a share. For the full year, the company had sales of $3.4 billion and earnings of $56 million, or $1.10 a share. American Axle lost 35 cents, or 1.9%, to $18.09 recently. Haverty Furniture (HVT) slipped after the Atlanta-based furniture retailer said January sales were up modestly from last year and comparable-store sales ticked lower. The company said January sales increased 1% to $66.9 million, compared with $66.2 million a year ago. On a comparable-store basis, sales decreased 0.1%. Shares of Haverty Furniture fell 42 cents, or 2.8%, to $14.85.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV