Upshot of State of the Union on Oil
This was originally published on RealMoney in Columnist Conversation on Jan. 31 at 3:53 p.m. EST. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
So, lots of questions about how to think about the State of the Union address tonight, especially as it relates to energy. Here are some quick thoughts:
1. President Bush will stress energy independence and the need to work harder to supply more of our own energy. That should, in a macro sense, benefit the independent exploration companies like Chesapeake (CHK), XTO Energy (XTO), Devon (DVN), EOG Resources (EOG) and others.
Those names will benefit even more if Bush refers to "resource plays" -- areas such as the Barnett Shale or Fayetteville Shale -- that are "unconventional" in nature. That would also benefit a company like Southwestern (SWN).If he talks of Alaska companies like Conoco (COP) and Nabors (NBR) might find a trade as they are important players there. 2. Bush may also talk about the importance of relaxing restrictions and providing incentives to return to the Gulf of Mexico after Rita and Katrina. That would benefit the offshore companies like W&T Offshore (WTI), Energy Partners, Ltd. (EPL), Petroquest (PQ) and ATP Oil & Gas (ATPG) among others. If he talks of deepwater, that would benefit the majors, but it would also benefit the service providers that traffic in that business, especially sub-sea completion companies -- the name there is FMC Technologies (FTI). 3. He will talk about the importance of technology advancing the ball in environmental processes that will make coal a viable fuel in the future. If so, this will benefit companies focused on clean-coal technology -- names like ADA-ES (ADES), KFx (KFX) and Rentech (RTK) all are speculative but emerging plays on various aspects of clean-coal applications. 4. He may talk about alternative sources of energy as well. While there are a number of choices in the alternative energy space, investors are likely to look for a name that is relatively liquid, has working projects and is in the mainstream of alternative energy. If correct, one name that fits the trade is FuelCell Energy (FCEL). There are certainly a host of plays in the space and it is not my area of expertise, so I will leave that to others. That said, Fuel Cell Energy has some very nice demonstration projects (e.g., Starwood) that, if they turn into commercial contracts, would provide a nice base for future growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV