Merck CEO Talks Growth
Tim Anderson of Prudential Equity Group says the last three months of 2005 represented a "good quarter overall," but he is keeping a neutral rating. The most immediate risk, aside from the Vioxx litigation, is the potential impact of new generic cholesterol drugs chewing into sales of Vytorin this year, he says. Anderson doesn't own shares, and his firm doesn't have an investment-banking relationship.
Judy Lewent, Merck's chief financial officer, says the company is talking to more than 40 companies in an effort to establish business alliances. Merck also is examining "a range of targeted acquisitions," she says.
Clark says Merck hasn't incorporated potential acquisitions into its revenue and earnings projections. Clark's ideal target would be a biotechnology company that has products on the market and whose research focuses on compounds that Merck recently outlined as its top priorities.
Anticipating analysts' questions, Lewent says Merck has the financial strength to maintain the quarterly dividend at its current level as well as to finance R&D priorities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV