Guidant Stent Approved in EU
Medical-device maker Guidant (GDT) said regulators for the European Union nations approved its new stent earlier than had been expected.
Approval by the European Union allows Guidant to market its Xience V stent system as a treatment for coronary artery disease. The stent is used to prop open clogged arteries and is coated with everolimus, a drug that prevents reclogging. The device will be ready for launch in the second quarter, Guidant said Monday.
"This early approval represents a significant milestone in Guidant's drug-eluting stent program and demonstrates our ongoing commitment to advancing the field of cardiovascular therapy through innovative solutions," said John Capek, president of Guidant's vascular intervention business.
Guidant, which also manufactures pacemakers and defibrillators, has been under fire since thousands of its devices were recalled last year. The Indianapolis-based company
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV