DirecTV, EchoStar Bundle Up
"He's trying to do the same thing he's done with television," said one person familiar with Murdoch's plans, "controlling both content and distribution."
It is unclear what short-term impact a significant capital expenditure such as this would have on DirecTV or News Corp., both of which have significant cash on hand.
But with cable valuations already under water, DirecTV teaming up with EchoStar and building out a broadband network could put more pressure on rivals.
On Monday News Corp. was unchanged at $16.71. DirecTV was down a penny to $13.93 and EchoStar down 2 cents to $27.79.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV