Apple's Secret Hiding Place
Even if it hadn't sought trademark protection in the U.S. prior to the launch, it could still get first dibs on the phrase or symbol related to the new product if it had applied for a trademark in another country in advance of the launch.
Apple's strategy of filing for trademark protection in foreign countries ahead of filing in the U.S. came to light with its
The company has yet to unveil a "Mobile Me" product or service. But evidently, it has been considering doing so for at least six months. Apple first filed to protect the phrase back in July in Hong Kong.
The company has followed a similar pattern with products it actually has released. Although it introduced the flash-memory based iPod nano last September, it didn't seek to trademark the product's name in the U.S. until December. But it had applied for trademark protection on the phrase way back in June in Hong Kong.Similarly, Apple sought to trademark the phrase "Mac Mini" in Singapore in August 2004, some five months before the company actually
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV