Today's Financial Stock Winners and Losers
Shares of TierOne (TONE) advanced after the Lincoln, Neb., bank holding company posted fourth-quarter earnings of 56 cents a share, up 36.6% from a year ago. Net income increased 40.6% to $9.5 million. Shares of TierOne rose $1.09, or 3.7%, to $30.73 in recent trading.
World Acceptance (WRLD) fell after the Greenville, S.C., consumer finance company missed analysts' third-quarter expectations. The company posted earnings of $5.7 million, or 30 cents a share, up from $5.5 million, or 28 cents a share, a year ago.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call had expected the company to earn 33 cents a share. Revenue increased 15.3% to $61.3 million. Shares of World Acceptance rose $2.61, or 9.2%, to $25.64 in recent trading.
Shares of LaBranche (LAB) rose after the New York-based specialist firm reported fourth-quarter earnings of $17.4 million, or 28 cents share, compared with $9.3 million, or 15 cents a share, last year.Wall Street was looking for earnings of 13 cents a share. Revenue rose 33% to $111.4 million. LaBranche was gaining $1.08, or 10.3%, to $11.55. Knight Capital Group (NITE) was climbing after the Jersey City, N.J., market maker agreed to acquire Hotspot FX, a privately held foreign-exchange electronic trading platform, in a cash deal worth about $77.5 million. Shares of Knight Capital rose 24 cents, or 2.3%, to $10.75. Safeco (SAFC) slipped after the Seattle-based property and casualty insurance company said it had a 0.8% drop in written premiums to $1.38 billion in the fourth quarter. Auto insurance premiums were also off, down 1.4% to $673 million. The company reported a profit of $190.7 million, or $1.53 a share, up from $179.8 million, or $1.41 a share, last year. Revenue rose to $1.59 billion from $1.57 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Financial were projecting a profit of $1.28 a share. Safeco fell $1.81, or 3.2%, to $54.01.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV