Microsoft Makes Its Move
Another piece of the puzzle is Microsoft's Xbox 360 video-game console, which can function as a media extender between the PC and television. Microsoft has spent billions to develop Xbox, which is widely viewed as more than just a way to get into the lucrative and growing video game-software market.
"If you start to dig into the functionality of that
And analysts agree that Microsoft's new Xbox 360 console connects nicely to Media Center PCs."If you want to download movies ... and stream them from the PC to the television, the Xbox is a great high-definition media adapter," Gartner's Baker says. Trouble is, the average consumer is not willing to do the tinkering to make that work, he says. Xbox is not a "mainstream product; it's a niche product," Baker adds. "But it's a healthy niche, and it's a growing niche." "Xbox first and foremost is a gaming platform," says Ed Graczyk, director of marketing and communications for Microsoft TV. "As great as it is, chances are my grandmother will never have an Xbox." She may not have a PC either, and therefore is unlikely to be a candidate for Microsoft's Media Center PCs. But, Graczyk adds, "she does have a TV." This explains why Microsoft is reaching in so many directions in its quest to gain a spot in the living room.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV