'RealMoney' Radio Recap: Shrug Off the Selloff
"Every time we have a good market, we then get selloffs," Jim Cramer told his "RealMoney" radio show listeners Friday. "But we get younger fellas who think selloffs should never occur ... or you get another group of people who say this game is rigged.They think selloffs are the end of the world."
But selloffs occur routinely, Cramer said, and the way to beat the blues is to be sure that you're selling into strength, particularly when the market is overbought and there is too much optimism.
He told listeners to take a little off the table when the market soars and do some buying when it's down in order to get the best prices.
"Would you buy something expensive in a store and return it when it's on sale?" he asked listeners. It's the same common sense with the stock market, he said.This is not market-timing, but it's about going against the grain and letting go of even some of your favorite stocks so you have the cash you need to buy them back when they do go down, said Cramer. He used Google (GOOG) as an example of this strategy, saying that he still believes the stock has a lot of upside. But, he warned, that's an ultimate destination -- not a near-term prediction. He said for investors who unloaded Google when it was flying high 70 points ago, as he recommended, they should start thinking about the fact that they can buy a little bit back now that it's down 40 points. "You need to be in a position where you think selloffs are not dramatic, dangerous or corrupt ... because you have cash on the sidelines," he said.
Lightning RoundCramer was bullish on: Motorola (MOT), Yahoo! (YHOO), Goldcorp (GG), Broadcom (BRCM), Marvell (MRVL), Google, Ameritrade (AMTD), Mirant (MIR) and Dynegy (DYN). Cramer was bearish on: Electroglas (EGLS), TII Network Technologies (TIII) and Charles River Laboratories (CRL).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV