Venture Overseas With European ETFs
Many individual investors have yet to venture overseas with their money. A comfortable way to cross the border financially for the first time is with one of the exchange-traded funds that focus on Europe.
Four exchange-traded funds offer similar exposure to West European big-cap companies: the streetTRACKS STOXX 50 (FEU), the iShares S&P Europe 350 Index Fund (IEV), the BLDRS Europe 100 ADR Index Fund (ADRU) and the Vanguard European Stock VIPERs (VGK).
Despite the different methodologies of these funds (varying from 50 to hundreds of positions), all four have posted similar returns since March, when Vanguard European Stock VIPERs, the newest fund, was listed. Longer term, the performances of the three older funds correlate very tightly.
|Different Names, Same Returns
Despite varying methodologies, these four European stock ETFs have similar performances.
|Pound and Euro vs. the Dollar
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV