'RealMoney' Radio Recap: Breaking Up Is Hard to Sell
"If you can't give me growth, I'm not interested." That's what the market is saying about the big three corporate breakups seen in the last couple of weeks, Jim Cramer told his
They thought that if they cobbled these pieces together we'd want to buy the end product. And they were wrong, he said.
"Now they think if they split them up, then we'll want to buy. And they'll be wrong again."This is one time that the market is being "somewhat intelligent," Cramer said. The market sees that we wouldn't have to deal with these new pieces if the companies themselves had been better before the breakups, he said. Moreover, it sees that the pieces aren't going to grow faster after the split-up, "And if any of these properties were more interesting, they would have been snapped up," he said. So, if you expect these stocks to pop after management throws up its hands and says "We don't know what we're doing," it's not going to happen, Cramer added. Big institutional buyers don't want pieces of undervalued paper, Cramer said. They want pieces of paper that represent assets of companies that grow incredibly fast. This is why names like Yahoo! (YHOO) and Schlumberger (SLB) must be owned no matter the price because they have great growth prospects.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV