Small-Cap Stocks in Motion
Shares of teen-apparel retailer Deb Shops (DEBS) rose after the Philadelphia-based company raised its fiscal-year earnings guidance to a range of $1.68 to $1.73 a share, compared with the previous outlook of $1.65 to $1.70. Shares of Deb Shops rose 43 cents, or 1.4%, to $31.83 in recent trading.
Caribou Coffee (CBOU) fell after the Minnesota-based company projected a loss for 2006. The company, which operates gourmet coffeehouses, said preliminary 2005 net sales rose about 24%, setting a record.
However, Caribou projected a loss of $2 million to $3.8 million, or 10 cents to 20 cents a share, for 2006. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected a profit of 1 cent a share. Caribou Coffee fell $2.44, or 22%, $8.69 in recent trading.
AEP Industries (AEPI) dropped after the South Hackensack, N.J., plastic-packaging company said it had discovered an error in its fiscal 2004 financials and will restate the results.The company also won't be able to file its annual report for fiscal 2005 on the scheduled due date of Jan. 17. The company expects to file it by Jan. 30. Shares of AEP Industries were losing 39 cents, or 1.5%, or $26.56. Shares of Zarlink Semiconductor (ZL) rose nearly 14% after the Ottawa-based company, which makes semiconductors for the health-care industry, introduced the first two devices in its new ClassSwitch platform of single-chip, full-service Layer 2 Ethernet switches. Zarlink was up 28 cents to $2.30 in recent trading. Gemstar-TV Guide (GMST) rose after the Los Angeles-based media company said that for the first 11 issues of the new full-sized magazine, which was relaunched on Oct. 17, TV Guide overdelivered by more than 50% on its advertising rate base of 3.2 million copies. Shares of Gemstar-TV Guide were higher by 27 cents, or 9.9%, to $3.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV