This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

Redstone Tweaks Midway Games Stake

Sumner Redstone is unloading some of his stock in Midway Games (MWY).

Well, kind of.

In an effort to transfer responsibility for a $425 million personal debt to a holding company he indirectly controls, the Viacom (VIA - Get Report) chairman and CEO is shifting some of his personal stake in the video-game software publisher, according to a regulatory document filed on Thursday.

Prior to the deal, Redstone owned about 64% of Midway directly, and with his indirect holdings, about 89.25% of the company overall.

But the transaction may be about more than shifting debt and stock among related entities. Indeed, the deal anticipates a potential sale of Midway shares by Redstone or the holding company by laying out ground rules for such sales.

Any such sale would be a change in course for Redstone, who has been gradually building his stake in Midway over the last two years. Analysts have long questioned his investment, given Midway's long history of losses and poor game sales . Still, thanks to recurring purchases by Redstone and National Amusements, a privately held company of which Redstone owns 67%, Midway's stock is up more than 400% over the last two years.

A representative for National Amusements, which is participating in the deal, declined to comment.

The transaction, which Redstone entered into on Wednesday, involves a holding company called, of all things, Sumco, 99% of which is owned by National Amusements with the other 1% owned by Redstone. In establishing Sumco, Redstone transferred 32.7 million shares of Midway, worth about $668.9 million, to the holding company. National Amusements transferred another 75,392 Midway shares, about $1.5 million worth, to Sumco.

As a result of the transaction, Redstone's direct stake in Midway will drop from about 57.6 million shares, or about 64% of the company's outstanding shares, to 24.9 million shares, or a 27.7% stake. Thanks to his indirect stake in Sumco, Redstone's total direct and indirect holdings in Midway will remain the same.
1 of 3

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
VIA $34.73 -1.20%
TSLA $153.29 6.70%
YHOO $26.63 -1.70%
AAPL $93.23 -1.10%
FB $99.61 -1.40%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 15,613.03 -301.71 -1.90%
S&P 500 1,823.24 -28.62 -1.55%
NASDAQ 4,234.0430 -49.5490 -1.16%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs