Profit Slumps at Solectron
Solectron (SLR) posted a decline in fiscal first-quarter profit and sales Thursday but still beat top-line expectations.
In addition, the company offered second-quarter guidance suggesting results could fall short of current Wall Street targets.
The Milpitas, Calif., contract manufacturer reported net income of $24 million, or 3 cents a share, for the first quarter ended Nov. 30. A year earlier, the company posted a profit of $58.2 million, or 6 cents a share.
Solectron reported net income from continuing operations of $20.2 million, or 2 cents a share, for the first quarter ended Nov. 30. A year earlier, the company posted a profit from continuing operations of $47.5 million, or 5 cents a share.Excluding certain items, Solectron reported first-quarter income of $28.1 million, or 3 cents a share, compared with profit of $51.4 million, or 5 cents a share, a year earlier. That was in line with analysts' average estimate gathered by Thomson First Call. Solectron's sales dropped to $2.46 billion from $2.69 billion a year earlier, but still exceeded Wall Street's forecast of $2.39 billion. The results fell in line with the company's guidance, which called for first-quarter revenue of $2.3 billion to $2.5 billion and earnings before items of 2 cents to 4 cents a share. Looking forward, Solectron forecast non-GAAP earnings from continuing operations of 2 cents to 4 cents a share on sales of $2.3 billion to $2.5 billion for the fiscal second quarter. Analysts, on average, currently project earnings of 4 cents a share on sales of $2.41 billion for the second quarter. Solectron shares shed a penny in recent after-hours trading after closing up 13 cents, or 3.5%, at $3.85..
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV