Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Vanity Fare
Click here for an archive of Cramer's "Mad Money" recaps.
The Fountain of Acquisition
The stock is down because of the acquisition, a purchase that will ultimately make it a one-stop shop for artificial youth."And there's a bull market in artificial youth," Cramer said, adding that the aging boomers are one of the vainest generations in history. With the acquisition, Allergen will add more vanity procedures to its Botox treatment, the most popular nonsurgical procedure of 2004. As for the competition, Cramer said that it's more exciting than Syneron Medical (ELOS) and IntraLase (ILSE) because the deal allows it exposure to all cosmetic treatments. Inamed brings to the table breast implants, skin graft alternatives to deal with scars and dermal-filler products to smooth wrinkles.
Calpine Can't Hurt YouCramer also warned viewers that a Calpine bankruptcy doesn't mean trouble for its competitors, particularly Dynegy (DYN). It's not another cheap, debt-ridden utility company like Calpine, Cramer said. Dynegy just got upgraded by Moody's, has a third of the debt that Calpine had and has seen three straight profitable quarters, he said. "It should soon be universally considered if not good, viable -- and worth more than it's priced at," said Cramer. A last key difference is that, unlike Calpine, Dynegy isn't dependent on natural gas. The company is using coal from the Powder River Basin, the largest source of coal in the U.S. And with natural gas prices so high, coal starts to look a whole lot cheaper.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV