IBM to Acquire Micromuse
Micromuse holders will get $10 a share in cash. The stock closed at $7.21 Tuesday and recently surged $2.59, or 36%, to $9.80 on Instinet. Micromuse shares have traded in a 52-week range of $3.97 to $8.13 a share. They last traded in the double-digits in February 2004 after falling from nearly $90 in January 2001.
The acquiree sells network software to corporate customers like banks and governments. It specializes in products that manage and monitor systems using voice and video -- a business that is also prized by Cisco (CSCO) and Lucent (LU). IBM will fold Micromuse into its Tivoli unit.
"The combination of Micromuse's software and IBM's IT service management technology will provide customers with a comprehensive approach for reducing the complexity of their IT environments, lowering operational costs, and addressing compliance mandates," IBM says.Micromuse, whose revenue rose 10% to $160.8 million in the year ended in September, lists customers including America Online, British Telecom, the state of Michigan and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Get Jim Cramer's picks for 2006.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV