Morningstar Buys Ibbotson Associates
Investment research provider Morningstar (MORN) agreed to buy Ibbotson Associates, a privately-held firm that specializes in asset allocation services, for $83 million.
The amount is subject to adjustments. Morningstar expects to see about $10 million in cash tax benefits. Ibbotson had $37.2 million in revenue for the fiscal year ended June 30.
Morningstar, based in Chicago, expects to close the transaction in the first quarter.
"Ibbotson's expertise in asset allocation and Morningstar's expertise in security selection and investment research is a powerful combination," said Joe Mansueto, chairman and chief executive officer of Morningstar. "Our companies share many similarities, and we have a firm commitment to helping investors reach their financial goals."Roger Ibbotson, the founder of Ibbotson Associates, and Mike Henkel, the firm's president, plan to stay with the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV