Inamed Board Takes Swiss Approach
The four-way fight in the cosmetic drug and device industry moved to the next round Tuesday when Inamed (IMDC) said a takeover bid by Allergan (AGN) is superior to a previous offer from Medicis Pharmaceutical (MRX).
However, Inamed said its board was remaining neutral and not making a recommendation to its shareholders about the Allergan bid. Inamed, based in Santa Barbara, Calif., said the board was reserving its endorsement because Allergan has made a "revised" bid that's "materially different" than last month's offer from the Irvine, Calif., maker of Botox and eye-care drugs.
Inamed also said it can't take sides because it's "unable to enter into a definitive merger agreement with Allergan reflecting the terms of the revised offer until such time, if any, as Inamed's merger agreement with Medicis is terminated."
Both Allergan and Inamed said the financial terms of Allergan's offer are identical to the original proposal. The revision concerns a formal letter, detailing legal and due diligence matters, that Allergan sent Inamed. The letter enables Inamed to accept the offer through Dec. 31. Inamed had requested an irrevocable offer letter, and Allergan complied."We are making excellent progress in completing the acquisition of Inamed," said David E. I. Pyott, Allergan's chairman and CEO, in a prepared statement. Two weeks ago, Medicis
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV