WellPoint Warns on 2006
WellPoint (WLP) has just hiccupped.
The giant health insurer -- which last year swallowed one of its biggest competitors whole -- has finally delivered some news that could prove difficult to digest. After the market closed on Tuesday, the company published 2006 guidance that fell short of Wall Street expectations.
Excluding special items, WellPoint plans to deliver earnings of $4.69 a share next year. Analysts, on average, were expecting $4.76 instead.
The company's stock, hovering near an all-time ahead of that update, tumbled 3.4% to $76.40 following the news.For its part, WellPoint portrayed its outlook as strong. However, the company did say that it has completed a new strategic plan that addresses the challenges -- as well as the opportunities -- that lie ahead. "The growth model we have developed is based on our proven ability to increase our membership in a disciplined manner while continually reducing our
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV