WellPoint Warns on 2006
WellPoint (WLP) has just hiccupped.
The giant health insurer -- which last year swallowed one of its biggest competitors whole -- has finally delivered some news that could prove difficult to digest. After the market closed on Tuesday, the company published 2006 guidance that fell short of Wall Street expectations.
Excluding special items, WellPoint plans to deliver earnings of $4.69 a share next year. Analysts, on average, were expecting $4.76 instead.
The company's stock, hovering near an all-time ahead of that update, tumbled 3.4% to $76.40 following the news.For its part, WellPoint portrayed its outlook as strong. However, the company did say that it has completed a new strategic plan that addresses the challenges -- as well as the opportunities -- that lie ahead. "The growth model we have developed is based on our proven ability to increase our membership in a disciplined manner while continually reducing our [selling, general and administrative] cost ratio and effectively using our cash flow," stated WellPoint CFO David Colby. WellPoint expects to grow its enrollment by 3% -- and its revenue by a much stronger 11% -- in the coming year. It also plans to keep cutting its overhead costs so that it can grow earnings, as promised, by 15% a year. Still, in its published outlook, WellPoint spent almost as much time celebrating the recent past -- when it became the largest health insurer in the country -- as it did looking ahead. "Looking back, 2005 was a truly outstanding year for the company," CEO Larry Glasscock said. "In addition to successfully integrating Anthem and WellPoint, we also completed several significant milestones that helped to strongly position the company for continued success in the coming years."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV