Device Drama Not Over Yet
Andrew says that St. Jude is also well-positioned in the market for neurological devices, especially with its recent purchase of Advanced Neuromodulation Systems. William Blair has received compensation or expects to be compensated by St. Jude for investment banking services.
Another way St. Jude could factor into the equation would be as a possible acquirer of assets a combined Guidant-Boston Scientific might have to shed in order to gain antitrust clearance from regulators -- although Medtronic and Abbott Labs (ABT) could be takers, as well.
For now, Boston says its proposal for Guidant is better than J&J's and contends its offer could be closed quickly. Brozak isn't as optimistic, saying Guidant would need weeks if not months to complete its due diligence, meaning the process wouldn't be finished by the end of the year.
And at least one analyst isn't going to be entirely surprised if J&J declines to hit back at Boston Scientific."Given all the trials and tribulations, we doubt JNJ will attempt to make a counter offer -- but as investors have learned over the past few years [to] never say never," Jason Wittes of Leerink Swann wrote in a research report. A director of Guidant serves as a director of Leerink Swann, but the firm doesn't provide investment banking services for the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV