Device Drama Not Over Yet
Guidant's shares closed down $1.10, or 1.6%, at $66.88, suggesting investors aren't ready to claim victory just yet. J&J was off 58 cents, or 1%, at $60.47, and Boston Scientific shares slipped 1 cent to $26.34.
J&J, Guidant and Boston Scientific, of Natick, Mass., compete in the coronary-stent market. Stents are devices that are used to hold open clogged arteries. The acquisition of Guidant would expand J&J's reach into the medical-devices arena, where its Cordis unit already operates.
Boston Scientific, meanwhile, says a merger with Guidant, whose series of product recalls led to J&J lowering its offer price, would "create the world's leading cardiovascular device company accelerating diversification and growth."
Even if Boston Scientific and Guidant end up joining forces, that doesn't necessarily spell doom for J&J. That's because there's heart-device maker St. Jude (STJ), the No. 3 player in cardiac-rhythm management behind Medtronic (MDT) and Guidant. St. Jude's name has in the past come up as a takeover possibility, and this time's no different.
Consolidating OptionsNow that J&J's interest in heart devices is crystal clear, Minnesota's St. Jude could provide an option for gaining entry into the market for defibrillators and other instruments. St. Jude rose $1.05, or 2.1%, to $51.61 Tuesday after gaining nearly 5% in the previous session. According to Brozak, J&J will look to make an acquisition in order to expand its offerings, and for St. Jude, he says, "at the right price, anything is possible." WBB doesn't have an investment banking relationship with Guidant, J&J, Boston Scientific or St. Jude. Ben Andrew, an analyst at William Blair, says that at the very least, St. Jude is a strong candidate for a buyer, and soon. "We view St. Jude as the cleanest entry point for an acquirer looking to gain access to the rapidly growing
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV