NYSE Takes the Plunge
If the Securities and Exchange Commission signs off on the merger, shares of the NYSE will begin trading in late January under the ticker symbol NYX. Shares of Archipelago will cease to trade.
The new company will be called NYSE Group.
In Europe, publicly traded stock exchanges have been around for years. But the move toward letting the public buy shares in U.S. stock markets was slow to catch on.
The push to take stock exchanges public picked up following the highly successful IPO by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) in 2004. The CME has been one of the top-performing stocks. Another successful initial public offering for an exchange occurred this fall with the debut of the CBOT (BOT), the holding company for the Chicago Board of Trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV