NYSE Takes the Plunge
If the Securities and Exchange Commission signs off on the merger, shares of the NYSE will begin trading in late January under the ticker symbol NYX. Shares of Archipelago will cease to trade.
The new company will be called NYSE Group.
In Europe, publicly traded stock exchanges have been around for years. But the move toward letting the public buy shares in U.S. stock markets was slow to catch on.
The push to take stock exchanges public picked up following the highly successful IPO by the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) in 2004. The CME has been one of the top-performing stocks. Another successful initial public offering for an exchange occurred this fall with the debut of the CBOT (BOT), the holding company for the Chicago Board of Trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV