Lehman Brothers Dons Brokerage Crown
The consensus on Wall Street is that brokers will post small or modest earnings gains next year. While corporate merger activity is expected to keep generating fat fees for investment banks, the pace of growth in the economy is expected to slow. The threat of rising interest rates in the first half of the year is expected to keep the stock market under wraps.
"They are going to run out of rabbits to pull out of the bag," says David Hendler, an analyst with CreditSights.
Hendler says rising interest rates will put a further chill in the market for fixed-income trading and bond underwriting. He says investment firms may not be able to count on their proprietary bond trading desks to generate the kind of outsized revenue that they've consistently produced for the past two years.
"Lehman and Goldman all had their huge rallies. Bear had it last year," says Hendler. "Now it may be time to rotate into the guys who had more noise in 2005."Hendler prefers Merrill Lynch, which is up 16% in 2005 but has underperformed many of its brokerage peers. He likes Merrill Lynch, in part, because "retail brokerage is picking up a head of steam."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV