Radio Bigs Hum New Tune
To avoid being squelched by satellite radio, conventional broadcasters say they have joined forces to promote digital programming.
The group says it will spend $200 million in airtime to promote the shift to digital programming. Members vowed to work with radio and automakers to get digital radios into new cars over the next eight years.
The group, which announced the formation of its alliance at a press conference in New York Tuesday morning, is hoping to counter the success of satellite radio duo XM Satellite (XMSR) and Sirius (SIRI).About 9 million users have signed on for satellite radio, which offers more than 100 channels of music, sports and talk programming. The local radio broadcasting sector has not performed well in the past two years, as satellite radio has captured the imagination of investors. The purpose of the big radio alliance seems to be largely aimed at not getting pushed off the dial. "We are competing with satellite, MP3 players and the Internet," says HD Radio Alliance president Peter Ferrara. "We are all about improving our tree in the forest." Clear Channel shares fell 6 cents to $33.02 and Emmis was unchanged at $20.30 in early trading Tuesday, while Viacom rose 6 cents to $34.54 and Cumulus fell a penny to $12.09.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV