Help Wanted on Google Base
Some customers think the hype for Google's (GOOG) newest product is off-base.
When the search-engine giant unveiled its free listings service, Google Base, press reports proclaimed it would revolutionize classified advertising and siphon off a lucrative business from newspaper publishers. But some users say Google Base so far has failed to live up to its extravagant billing.
"Google in the past has had very well-thought-out products," says Kyle Tinsley, the president of Google Base advertiser
Indeed, Google Base is getting a cautious reception from some advertisers, who are also awaiting the launch of a rival offering from Microsoft (MSFT). Google Base has also been hit with technical glitches and has attracted pornographic Web sites and those that redirect listings from larger companies.Google didn't immediately respond to requests for comment. But investors bullish on Google's prospects have high hopes for Google Base, says Scott Kessler, an equity analyst with Standard & Poor's who rates Google hold and doesn't own the shares. "Sometimes there is a major difference between concept and execution," he says. "I don't see anything that compelling about what the company is currently offering. It's very possible that this product could be in testing for all of next year." Monster.com (MNST) is among the companies that plan to wait until Google proves that Google Base works. "Monster believes that associating the Monster brand with an unproven database -- even one developed by Google -- is not in the best interests of our customers at this time," says Lauren McDonald, a company spokeswoman. On the other hand, Monster rival CareerBuilder.com is providing ads to the site.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV