Google vs. Microsoft: The Great Tech Debate
The Hubris Factor: Overlooked in the comparisons between Microsoft and Google is this key distinction: Microsoft didn't just borrow other people's innovation, it forced innovation to grow within its tightly walled garden, and in so doing stifled it. Google has taken steps to avoid that mistake.
But as Battelle points out, Google's finding it tougher to avoid other pitfalls as it becomes an "agenda-shaping player responsible for navigating complex relationships with world governments, the personal privacy of millions, major trade organizations and hundreds of thousands of businesses."
Such a position "requires a balanced mixture of leadership, will, and diplomacy," Battelle wrote. "There's very little room for the go-it-alone mentality which got the company to where it stands today. Can the company shift its culture and avoid the fate which ultimately hobbled Microsoft? That, more than anything else, will define the next chapter in the company's fascinating story."
Where will all this leave Google and Microsoft? Microsoft has far too much cash to go away quietly. But its fate seems likely to be domination in markets that are growing increasingly ancillary.And Google? As always, its greatest liability is its greatest asset -- the tendency to set its sites on the big hairy goals and stop at nothing to get there. The biggest enemy facing Google is itself. And its biggest challenge will be to subdue that enemy before the growth in online advertising finally does slow down.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV