TechWeek: '06 Could See Atypical Start
Now that the end-of-year rally looks pretty much like a done deal, is it time to starting worrying about the usual first-quarter slowdown in technology? Not really.
Demand for PCs and mobile handsets has been strong all year, and that pushed overall sales of semiconductors well beyond expected levels. The resulting low inventories in hard drives and semiconductors, as well as stronger-than-expected sales of enterprise storage products, along with other positive indicators, are convincing some analysts and investors that 2006 will get off to a strong start.
"At the beginning of 2005 we were concerned that high inventories would undermine pricing," says Shane Rau, who follows the chip market for IDC. At the time, Rau and his colleagues forecast that overall chip-industry revenue would decrease by about 1% over 2004. But strong sales likely will have swung the estimated loss of revenue to a year-over-year gain of 5% by the end of the month, he said.
Sales, of course, are just one part of the semiconductor equation. If the industry fails to manage its capacity correctly, it can create gluts that decimate margins, or shortages of product that can eat into market share, as
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV