E-Commerce Doubles Down on Pay Per Call
But the move away from costly call centers has taken its toll on online retailers as well. More than half of online shopping carts that customers fill with goods are abandoned in the online shopping aisles forever, according to Forrester -- not exactly the most efficient way to close a sale.
Whether big companies find the pay-per-call ads a means to increase their overall sales or just an unnecessary and costly drag on their call centers remains to be seen. For small, local businesses, especially those that have held off on building up a Web presence, it could open the door to new customers. With the growing popularity of recommendations made on social sites like Yelp! and Tribe.net, the click-to-call feature could give mom-and-pop shops a needed bit of leverage against the major retailers.
Susquehanna's Wolk points out that, in addition to eliminating the abandoned shopping carts, the model could offer benefits to retailers large and small: better tracking of customer calls and areas of concern, shortening customer wait times, and a bit more personal attention to those lonely online shoppers.
Personal attention on the Web. What a radical concept.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV