Video Games' Second Life
Sales of used products grew from $212.5 million, or 16% of revenue, in fiscal 2003 to $419.9 million, or 21% of revenue in fiscal 2005, which ended in January.
Through the first nine months of this year, GameStop has sold $458.8 million worth of used products, representing about 32% of total revenue, up from $355.2 million, or 31% of revenue in the same period last year.
For retailers, the attraction of the used business is high profit margins. In the third quarter, for instance, GameStop saw a gross margin of 45% on sales of used products, compared with about 25% on new software sales and just 11% on new hardware.
And though the company's sales of new software outpaced that of used products, GameStop saw more gross profit dollars from the used business.Those kinds of numbers are drawing new entrants into the space. Best Buy (BBY), according to published reports, has started testing the market for used games in some of its stores. The growing demand for used games comes amid a cyclical transition in the video-game industry. Microsoft's new Xbox 360 game console is only the first of three next-generation game machines expected to debut in the next year. Such transitions have typically been tough for video-game software publishers because they often result in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV