Google Quarterbacks This Game
This column was originally published on RealMoney on Dec. 1 at 3:31 p.m. EST. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
More than a year ago, when Microsoft
That was $80 billion of Google valuation and trillions of user searches ago.
With Google at a $120 billion market cap and generating billions of earnings now, there's no doubt that Softee (and every other company on the planet) now has Google fully in its sights. But I still believe investors should "flip it" when it comes to that analysis.Google still has everyone, including Microsoft, on their heels, and Google's on the offensive rather than the defensive. As Bill Gates put it recently, "Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic competitors and it keeps us on our toes." He calls it toes; I call it heels. As I've outlined throughout 2005, Google is positioning itself to be a source-agnostic gatekeeper to all of the content on the planet, from white pages in Ruidoso, N.M., to "Andy Griffith" reruns to Charles Dickens' Tale of Two Cities. And although the company continues to exploit many new and/or currently unthought-of revenue streams, Google's going to continue to experience secular growth in Internet advertisement, as will MSN, Yahoo!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV