Smart Money Thinks Big
In the past five years, the simple formula for investing success has been to buy small-cap and value stocks. As of Nov. 30, the Russell 2000 was up 41% in the past five years vs. a 1% gain for the Dow Jones Industrial Average and losses of 9% and 23% for the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite, respectively. In the same period, the Wilshire Large Cap Value Index has risen 15% while its growth counterpart has fallen 11%.
The same pattern is evident in the two-year timeframe as well. But the outperformance of small-caps has shrunk in the past year while growth has started to outpace value.
To be sure, the past five years has been littered with
"Our models continue to indicate that growth stocks are a better value than value stocks, and large-caps will continue to outperform small-caps," Ed Keon of Prudential Securities commented earlier this week.Citigroup's chief U.S. equity strategist, Tobias Levkovich, who made a
Big-cap and growth stocks are coming back into favor after long-term dominance by small-cap and value
* performance through Nov. 30
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV