Cablevision Breaks Ranks on Pricing
"Our experience indicates a la carte will result in a more affordable service for all with more programming options," Dolan's statement continued. "The Chairman's approach, in our view, is consistent with the best traditions of retailing in this country. Consumers should not be obliged directly or indirectly to buy services they do not want."
In a research note earlier this week, Merrill Lynch media analyst Jessica Reif Cohen said that the real impact of Martin's remarks would depend on what the new pricing schemes look like. Merrill says the most popular channels would probably fare well, while second- and third-tier channels could be at risk.
"Given strong opposition of pay TV and content providers, significant technological hurdles, and uncertain consumer benefits, we believe it is highly unlikely that a la carte pricing will be implemented," Reif Cohen writes.
Shares in Cablevision, which Dolan and his CEO son James were considering taking private earlier this year, were down 37 cents to $23.29.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV