Resurgent BioCryst at It Again
Updated from 3:56 p.m. EST
The power of promise is immense in the biotech universe, a place where no-name companies can be made celebrities overnight, has-been stocks can rebound as must-haves and laggards can be transformed into leaders in the blink of an eye.
As evidence, there's BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX), a firm that traded north of $30 at the outset of the millennium but has gone as low as $3.68 in the last 52 weeks.
However, with the help of two big developments, BioCryst has turned from a straggler to a sprinter in just a few short months. The latest news involves a deal in which the Swiss pharmaceutical giant Roche agreed to pay BioCryst $30 million for the worldwide rights to an early-stage immune system drug.BioCryst said Roche's payments could reach $530 million based on various milestones, not including possible royalty payments if the drug reaches the market. The arrangement sent shares of the Birmingham, Ala., biotech soaring 37.5% to $16.24 on more than 10 times its average trading volume. Roche bought an exclusive license to BioCryst's BCX-4208 compound, a so-called PNP-inhibitor that the companies hope will help transplant patients avoid having the new organ rejected. For five years, Roche will have a right of first negotiation on other PNP inhibitors BioCryst is already working on for autoimmune diseases or transplant rejections. BioCryst retained the right to co-promote BCX-4208 in the U.S. for several indications. Any new PNP inhibitor discovered after the agreement will be exempt. BioCryst has completed an early-stage dosing trial for the compound this year and has started a trial to evaluate the safety and tolerability of multiple oral doses of BCX-4208. The company is hoping its product proves to be more effective in treating autoimmune diseases and transplant rejections than drugs that are currently available.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV