Millennium Partners' Latest Dirty Laundry
The settlement with Millennium, which comes more than two years after the mutual fund trading scandal first made headlines, is the second involving a hedge fund. Millennium set aside money to cover the cost of a settlement back in December 2003. Sources say settlement talks are going on with at least two other hedge funds that engaged in abusive mutual fund trading, but neither is still active and the funds weren't as large as Millennium.
The other hedge fund to pay a fine in the mutual fund scandal is Canary Capital Partners, the defunct shop led by Edward Stern. Stern's $40 million settlement with Spitzer in September 2003 launched the mutual fund investigation.
Two years later, the investigation is in its final stages, with just a few big cases still to be resolved. To date, regulators have collected nearly $3 billion in fines and restitution from dozens of mutual fund companies, brokerages and hedge funds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV