GameStop Widens Generation Gap
An earnings report from GameStop (GME) on Tuesday provided further evidence that -- industry hopes to the contrary -- the transition to a new generation of machines will likely be a disruptive time for the video-game sector.
As part of its
Separately, at an investor conference, Electronic Arts (ERTS) said that it saw soft sales in early November and plans to cut the price of its flagship Madden NFL football title by $10, according to Briefing.com.
Weakening demand for new games, short supply of new consoles, price cuts and disappointing sales are not unusual for a console transition. But industry analysts, investors and executives had hoped this generational jump would be different.GameStop's announcement, however, adds to the recent evidence that this transition will simply be more of the same, a reality that could weigh on the stock prices not only of GameStop but of game publishers such as Electronic Arts and Activision (ATVI). "We should all know that there's an awkward transition they're all going through right now," says Steve Monticelli, president of Mosaic Investments. "We should expect weak results from these guys." Still, the market seemed somewhat surprised. In recent trading, shares of GamesStop were off 4 cents, or less than 1%, to $35.14. But the software guys were taking significantly bigger hits, with EA shares off $1.67, or 2.9%, to $56.43; Activision's stock off 40 cents, or 2.8%, to $13.80; and shares of Take-Two Interactive (TTWO) off 47 cents, or 2.5%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV