AIG's Robert Discolo Talks Hedge Fund Talent
Funds of funds are under fire. Paid generous fees for picking hedge funds for their investors, their role has been questioned lately in the wake of the Bayou scandal.
American International Group's (AIG) Hedge Fund Strategies Group, a $7 billion fund of funds, belongs to the big guns category, serving a handful of large institutional clients. Amid AIG's accounting issues, Robert Discolo, who heads this fund of funds group, is relatively sanguine on hedge funds, Asia and the future of the industry.
Discolo took the time to discuss the outlook for the industry and his strategy in an interview with TheStreet.com.
TheStreet.com: Hedge funds have not performed so well this year. What's your outlook on the industry?Robert Discolo: We realize that performance has gone down when looking back at some years when returns were averaging in the high teens. There is a lot more money in hedge funds now. But I am generally optimistic. Hedge funds bring together the most talented people in the world. Hedge funds are a talent pool, not an asset class. The key factor both for hedge funds and funds of funds is to have the right people. TSC: Some are attacking the business model of funds of hedge funds. Are the fees justified? RD: Fees are justified when you pick the right funds and put them together the right way. There are approximately 8,000 to 9,000 funds to choose from. Funds of funds also deliver capacity
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV