Web Shoppers Click on 'Cyber Monday'
Last year, Web merchants had $386 million in sales on Cyber Monday, compared with $250 million on Black Friday. comScore estimates that fourth-quarter e-commerce sales will be $26.5 billion, up 24% from a year earlier.
The news came as retail shares sold off Monday. Shoppers flooded stores over the holiday weekend and drove strong sales for retailers, but the steep markdowns being used to lure customers could lead to disappointments on the bottom line, Wall Street fears.
The world's largest retailer, Wal-Mart (WMT), drove heavy traffic by offering deals such as laptop computers for $398. The discount giant reported that its November same-store sales were headed for a 4.3% gain. Those results would land at the midpoint of its previous guidance for an increase of 3% to 5%.
Still, given the growing popularity of Cyber Monday, perhaps people won't be so quick to cast aspersions on the first day of the workweek.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV