Wide Field Looking to Trim Weight
Over the summer, Minneapolis-based
(MDT), the largest maker of medical devices for the heart, acquired a small company called Transneuronix for its
Another big heart device company, St. Jude Medical (STJ), plans to buy Advanced Neuromodulation Systems (ANSI), whose offerings include an experimental device to treat obesity. The product uses electrical stimulation, but Advanced wouldn't comment on the device or the progress of its development. As of Wednesday, St. Jude already owned 89% of the company.
Even with the forays into the weight-loss field, Medtronic and St. Jude have mainly been focused on heart-failure devices, which obviously treat a condition that carries a more immediate risk of death.
"If you need a defibrillator, you need it today," says John Putnam of Stanford Financial Group. "It's not like obesity, where you need to lose some weight, but over a period of time."Should the experimental gastric stimulators prove effective, Inamed's Lap-Band market would be an obvious target for both Medtronic and St. Jude, according to Jason Wittes of biotech research firm Leerink Swann. Implanting a gastric stimulator, similar to putting a pacemaker in a patient, would be less invasive than inserting the band, he says. Additionally, he says the stimulation products might even be used in a broader set of patients.
Not Just Skin DeepWhile about one-third of the U.S. population is considered obese, about 5% of the population -- a small number of whom have the band implanted -- is morbidly obese, or more than 100 pounds overweight, according to the National Institutes of Health. Inamed's gastric band itself could soon be the property of another firm, as both Medicis (MRX) and Allergan (AGN) are
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV