Alexion Thumped After Drug Failure
Alexion Pharmaceuticals (ALXN) shares were taking a pounding after the company's heart drug failed to meet the main target of a study in which it was aiming to prevent heart attacks in a moderate- to high-risk group of patients.
Lately, the shares were plunging $8.19, or 27.7%, to $21.37. Volume was extremely heavy, with 20 times more shares trading than the daily average for the last three months. By midsession, more than 10 million shares had changed hands, compared with about 458,000 on a normal day.
The trial of Alexion's pexelizumab was designed to determine whether the drug could reduce the rate of heart attacks and death 30 days after coronary artery bypass surgery, with or without another valve surgery, compared with a placebo. The drug did reduce both outcomes, but fell short of the threshold for statistical significance.
The trial, which was also conducted to study the drug's safety, involved 4,250 patients at 250 sites worldwide."We are clearly disappointed that pexelizumab did not meet its primary endpoint in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV