Nanosys Continues Its Private Affair
Nanosys is working on a lot of potential applications that could find demand once they reach the market: fuel cells for laptops, memory for MP3 players, low-cost solar cells, etc. One of the company's founders, Larry Bock, has a stellar track record of investing in or founding biotech startups such as Ariad Pharmaceuticals, Athena Neurosciences and Neurocrine Biosciences.
"Many of the initial investors got sucked into this as a result of Larry Bock's success in the biotech world and believed that this could be replicated in nanotech," says Harper. "So four years in, they are being asked to pony up again in order to keep the company afloat long enough for them to hit pay dirt somewhere"
Charles Harris, CEO of venture firm Harris and Harris
"When the Nanosys IPO was pulled, people attributed it to nanotech per se," says Harris, who adds he saw a silver lining in having Nanosys remain private. "It gave us an opportunity to put more money into the company."What Nanosys' latest round of funding, with a broader array of private funds involved, suggests is that nanotech investment appears to be slowly attracting the interest of private investors. Whether you put the blame on Wall Street or Nanosys, the public markets remain lukewarm to nanotech.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV