Hole Appears at Calpine
Of course, Calpine's lawyerly response all turns on what the meaning of the word "assets" is.
Either way, this is bad news for Calpine, which is no position to go out and raise additional financing to make its bondholders whole. It's not known what kind of remedy the creditors will seek to impose on the company.
Calpine had hoped the court would side with it, after the Bank of New York (BK) informed the California-based energy company that it froze the remaining $400 million in its account. The bank took that step after some bondholders had protested about the way Calpine was spending the money.
Real Money contributor William Gabrielski argued in a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV