Hole Appears at Calpine
Of course, Calpine's lawyerly response all turns on what the meaning of the word "assets" is.
Either way, this is bad news for Calpine, which is no position to go out and raise additional financing to make its bondholders whole. It's not known what kind of remedy the creditors will seek to impose on the company.
Calpine had hoped the court would side with it, after the Bank of New York (BK) informed the California-based energy company that it froze the remaining $400 million in its account. The bank took that step after some bondholders had protested about the way Calpine was spending the money.
Real Money contributor William Gabrielski argued in a column here that a ruling like Strine's Tuesday decision would raise uncertainty about Calpine's ability to fund its operations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV