Motorola Looking Sharp
The pace of cell-phone sales gains continues to pick up, as new figures show strong trends across nearly all regions and price ranges.
Samsung held steady at No. 3, and Sony Ericsson bounced LG out of the fourth slot on the strength of its new Walkman music phone.
Overall, worldwide sales surged 22% from a year ago, with 205 million phones shipped in the third quarter ended in September, according to market research by Gartner. Those figures compare with a 21% year-on-year rise in the second quarter, to 190 million units.Given this year's torrid sales pace and expectations for an usually robust Christmas season, industry watchers are even more optimistic about the full-year performance. Gartner now predicts 810 million phones will be sold this year, marking a 28% increase over last year. Analysts cite the ability of Nokia and Motorola to build cheap -- $40 or below -- phones for markets like Brazil and India, where new wireless networks are expanding across areas that were previously not served by phone companies. Nokia added to its lead in the quarter, controlling 32.6% of the handset market. That compares with a 31.9% take last quarter and the 31% share the Finnish company held a year ago. Motorola was the biggest gainer in market share, thanks largely to sales of 6 million thin Razr phones in the quarter. Motorola grabbed 18.7% of the market last quarter, compared to 17.9% in the prior period and 13.5% a year ago.
Third-quarter market share
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV