No Quit in Xbox Rivals
The company hopes to broaden the demand for the device by allowing users to play "casual" games such as solitaire, and to play digital music and movies through it.
Microsoft plans to ship as many as 3 million units in the first 90 days after launch, and few analysts believe the company will have trouble selling them.
But Sony and Nintendo expect to sell large quantities of their game machines when they come to the market, and each has a strategy for taking on the competition.
Sony, hoping to build on its successes, is attempting to lure former PlayStation customers through backward compatibility; users will be able to play any of the 13,000 games developed for the PlayStation 2 or the original PlayStation on the new machine, the company says.Sony also hopes to take a page out of its playbook from the PlayStation 2: It launched that machine, which played games stored on DVDs, when DVDs were becoming a mass-market phenomenon.
High-Definition DVDThe company is looking to repeat success with the PlayStation 3 -- the only new game console that will play games and movies stored on high-definition DVD discs. The PlayStation 3 will play Blu-ray DVDs, one of two high-definition DVD formats, and when it debuts, the PlayStation 3 will likely be the lowest-priced Blu-ray DVD player on the market. "We're looking at the PS3 ... as a Trojan horse in the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV