Spitzer Fumbles in Red Zone
Securities lawyers say the string of courtroom defeats could make defendants in other cases unwilling to settle as fast as they did in the mutual fund trading investigation and the Wall Street conflicts-of-interest probe.
A sense that Spitzer may be off his game explains why his office has been relatively quiet on the regulatory front, after filing a civil suit in May against American International Group (AIG) and Maurice Greenberg, the longtime AIG executive and insurance industry titan.
In fact, after filing the civil suit against AIG and Greenberg, Spitzer's prosecutors have taken a low-key approach in the ongoing criminal investigation into accounting irregularities at the giant insurer. People familiar with the investigation say Spitzer has taken an uncharacteristic back seat to federal prosecutors in the criminal inquiry.
"Spitzer right now is very gun-shy to bring a case unless he considers it to be a slam-dunk,'' says Zamansky.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV