Mentor Plots Cosmetic Change
One question posed during a telephone conference Monday was whether Mentor might make a hostile run at Medicis. Mentor CEO Levine declined to comment, saying only that his company "will wait for the dust to settle" before making the next step. The offer to Medicis was the only way to get that company's attention because of its dealing with Inamed, Levine said.
Medicis shareholders are scheduled to vote on the Inamed deal on Dec. 19. The transaction is under review by the Federal Trade Commission.
Mentor's future appeal to investors will depend on how fast it gets U.S. approval for silicone breast implants for cosmetic uses, what price it gets for the urology businesses and how it can expand its presence in the skin-treatment market. Buying Medicis would easily answer the skin-care question.
Inamed and Mentor are dueling to be first on the U.S. market with silicone gel breast implants for cosmetic purposes. Both have received
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV